Since the Distractions posting, I’ve felt very well about combating distractions and being motivated to get some things done, however simple. There have been three days where I did some painting of the hot tub encasement (wood around the sides of the hot tub). One more little session and it will be done. I realize it’s a very small project, but I should have done it 3 years ago… Anyway, I also cleaned off the wooden benches on the deck, in preparation for re-staining them this Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.
There was a tiny area on the back side of the house where I’ve wanted to put some bricks… and now I’ve finally done that, and it looks good. So simple really, but there’s a ton of these things that I’ve wanted to get done… but never got done.
I also finally took some things to the Goodwill that had been cluttering my garage. Then today I went through a ton of things in the garage, reorganized/changed the locations of things, removed some things, put a couple things in storage in the little attic above the Mustang, and swept out the garage. I cleaned up some remnants of a project that were still sitting outside; I re-secured a trim-board on the deck that had been bugging me for like 2 years. This was so simple: drill two holes, and then put two screws in…. but again: just one of those things that I never got around to doing, but subconsciously contributed to weighing me down a tiny bit when added to all of the other tiny little things.
In the grand scheme of things, how important is it to have a cleaner, tidier, more organized garage (or some of the other things I’ve spent some time on lately)? Not very… (since it’s investing time in “things”, which are temporary, rather than people, which are eternal). But, if combating distractions and accomplishing little things that otherwise weigh you down… if doing those things frees you on some level, and provides a healthy boost of spirit, letting you come alive a little bit more, which can then affect the way you go through your days, and affects your interactions with the people in your life… then I think it’s okay to make those little time-investments in “things”, even though (on the surface) it might appear to have absolutely no relation to eternal things.
If, on the other hand, you’re spending time on those things in order to impress people, or compete with your neighbors, or because you are too concerned with your status/image/etc. … then that’s too bad…
Side note: As I was walking back home from church today, I stopped to talk with the guy who lives at the entrance to the neighborhood (Steve). We probably talked for about an hour, about a lot of different things (we talk every once in a while). He has three kids. His oldest [step-] son got seriously involved with drugs and gangs, dropped out of HS, and is currently in jail for shooting someone. Steve’s 17-year-old daughter has also dropped out of HS, and is now living mostly at her boyfriend’s [parents’] house. His 12-year-old son still lives at home. Steve has been married for 20 years, but is now going through a divorce - one that he doesn’t want to happen... He has had a pretty rough life, and I know he’s having a hard time with things. He used to be an alcoholic, and is currently wanting to quit smoking. The good part is that he believes that Jesus is the son of the one true God. Steve knows which way is up, and wants to do things God’s way (he also will reference different stories in the Bible when trying to make a point, which is nice to encounter). He doesn’t want a divorce, and hopes that she’ll change her mind (but that doesn’t seem likely to him right now). He referenced The Parent Trap, and how the Mom and Dad ended up getting back together. He hopes for the same. It’s impressive to see hope in a man who has had so many troubles in the past and is currently in a giant dung-heap of events. Please pray for Steve, his wife, and family… and for me, that I can help him in some way.
+Thanks+
3 comments:
I totally relate to feeling much better getting little 'things' out of the way.
I believe that everything we do in life is spiritual. Fixing the house etc. does have spiritual reasoning. God wants us to be good stewards, and by keeping our 'things' in good shape we are doing just that. Instead of leaving a bike outside to rust, forcing the purchase of a new one, we should keep it in good condition.
I agree that motive is the key. If one is caring for the bike for any other reason than to please God, s/he is caring in vain.
Might I suggest Andrew Wommack's teaching series entitled "God's Kind of Love for You" for your neighbor Steve? And perhaps someday you could offer to help him with 'fix-it' jobs around his house? Sometimes in this world, all we need is a friend.
-I guess I had a few things to say :) Great post J-
I know what you mean. It is refreshing to see someone who wants to make things right? (Stay married).
You remind me of all the little things I have left undone around my house. And just when I was starting to block them out. You're killing me here.
Sorry Jason... :(
Post a Comment